Edwin A. Salazar
IT Engineering Specialist
Los Angeles, CA
A talented and versatile IT Professional with a broad range of skills across areas including, OS deployment and automation, networking, software development, hardware/software integration, and associated troubleshooting. Skillful engineer, who designs and implements applications and workflow processes that generate thousands of dollars in savings. Effective communicator and leader who trains and mentors teams, continually achieving or exceeding operational expectations.
- 1 Experience
- 1.1 Software Engineer (Contract) - InFocus Corporation
- 1.2 E-mail Marketing Campaign Analyst - Disney Interactive / Superior Technical Resources, Inc.
- 1.3 Software Engineering Manager - Gateway, Inc.
- 1.4 Software Engineer - eMachines, Inc.
- 1.5 Customer Service Technician - Free-PC, Inc.
- 1.6 Customer Service Technician - TEKSystems/Disney Interactive
- 2 Certifications
- 3 Education
- 4 Career and Skillset Infographic
- 5 Written Recommendations
- 6 Social Media
- 7 Interests (Not Directly Work-Related )
Software Engineer (Contract) - InFocus Corporation
Irvine, CA / May 2011 – Apr 2019
InFocus Corporation develops, manufactures, and distributes DLP and LCD projectors as well as large-format touch displays, software, LED televisions, tablets and smartphones.
Personally, recruited by the Fugoo CEO and brought aboard as a Product Engineer; retained through the acquisition by InFocus. Reported directly to the Manager of Software Development. As the sole OS deployment engineer, provided support for 5 QA Engineers, a Customer Service Liaison, and ad hoc, escalated support for the company’s global client base for touchscreen collaboration systems and cloud-based (ConX) video conferencing software. * Slashed installation times by up to 75% with personal development of over 15 applications/utilities, using Agile/Scrum methodology, for installation, logging, and digital signature tools incorporating NSIS or VB Script that automated or expedited the installation or deployment processes for new or upgraded products on Windows- and Linux-based platforms.
- Collaborated with support and QA teams on ~40 distinct projects in determining scope requirements for changes to the OS with executables, files, graphics, and other components.
- Managed all aspects of development with input from QA in debugging and changes. Used Bugzilla or Assembla for issue tracking, along with code revisions in GIT or SVN; compiled executables in NSIS and placed the approved app on the website, with copies to the customer service center.
- Reduced licensing fees by around $5K annually with implementation of open-source tools, which also eliminated labor costs associated with tracking of product keys and individual machines.
- Propelled a potential 80% in labor savings with the efficient incorporation of 12 languages onto a single installer; eliminated the need for an image per language.
- Conducted around 95% of all troubleshooting, leveraging earlier large PC manufacturing experience in hardware and software (shown below), all but removing the need for costly 3rd party support.
- Deployed a custom PXE server for Windows for OS deployments; subsequently, incorporated a LAMP server with WordPress and appropriately maintained with an access control list (ACL) for hosting of all patches, updates, and documentation for the team.
- Documented and prepared, using MediaWiki language user guides, OS spec sheets, release notes, FAQ docs, and others that could be printed out or sent electronically as PDF files.
- Duties and responsibilities typical of contracting in California ie. basic accounting, QuickBooks Online, and business licences, and LLC forms with periodic filings.
InFocus Engineering Skillset
E-mail Marketing Campaign Analyst - Disney Interactive / Superior Technical Resources, Inc.
N. Hollywood, CA / Dec 2009 – Feb 2011
In June 2008, Disney Interactive Studios and the Walt Disney Internet Group (DIG) merged into a single business unit, known then as the Disney Interactive Media Group (DIMG). In 2009, DIMG's Disney Online unit's portfolio included family-oriented sites such as FamilyFun.com, Kaboose.com, and BabyZone.com.
Deployed email marketing and newsletter campaigns totaling 2 million items weekly for Disney and 3rd party advertisers.
- Performed A/B testing using data analysis tools; compared click-through rates along with demographic information (location, age, gender, etc.) in development of reports and presentations outlining effectiveness of marketing campaigns to the respective sales groups and media producers.
- Participated in daily Agile scrum meetings for reporting technical issues, bug tracking, and development requests with external teams.
Disney Email Marketing Skillset
Software Engineering Manager - Gateway, Inc.
Irvine, CA / May 2004 – Sep 2008
Gateway Inc., previously Gateway 2000, was an American computer hardware company based in South Dakota and later California, that developed, manufactured, supported, and marketed a wide range of personal computers, computer monitors, servers, and computer accessories. It was acquired by Acer, Inc. in October 2007
Led a software engineering team responsible for packaging OS and third-party applications; including documentation, development, testing, and communication with 3rd-party business partners. Emphasis on a participatory management style.
- Coordinated team with various vendors and internal groups for the successful Windows Vista product launch for eMachines and Gateway branded PCs in North America, 11 European and 2 Asian countries.
- Committed the team to the continual process improvement systems used at Gateway: Lean Six-Sigma, Kaisen; consistently passed ISO 9001 audits and SOX (Sarbanes-Oxley) IT document retention audits.
- Completed Gateway’s master OS and recovery images for first US and Mexico Gateway retail desktop and notebook lines. The success was directly measured with increased purchase orders over several quarters.
- Extensive collaboration with QA and contract manufacturers for testing and deployment using a bug tracking databases.
- Packaging of the software intended for retail customer usage and set guidelines for documentation and nomenclature of software and projects.
- Converted eMachines manual software installation process to a fully modular and automated Build-To-Order / Configure-To-Order (BTO, CTO) image build system that included scripts and software packaging to speed-up customization requests.
Gateway Engineering Skillset
Skills used at this time Operating Environments: WindowsXP - Vista, Windows Server 2000, Exchange Server, Linux (SuSe) Programming / IDE’s: Nullsoft NSIS Script, CLI/DOS scripts, InstallShield, HTML, XML, VBScript Software Tools: Windows and Office OPK, ADK, WDS, Symantec and McAfee Antivirus, Symantec Ghost, NBT Prism Deploy, ImageX, DISM, Sysinternals Utilities Productivity: MS (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Sharepoint), proprietary bug-tracking database Networking / Protocols: FTP, WINS, TCP/IP, Windows Performance Toolkit Hardware: Desktops, touchscreen notebooks, notebooks, servers, routers, switches, RAID/NAS units
Gateway Deployment Projects
Software Engineer - eMachines, Inc.
Irvine, CA / Jan 2000 – May 2004
eMachines was a brand of low-end personal computers. In 2004, it was acquired by Gateway, Inc., which was in turn acquired by Acer Inc. in 2007. The eMachines brand was discontinued in 2013.
Responsible for preparing the operating system images meant for production and mass duplication at various PC manufacturing facilities.
- Created separate OS master images of eMachines’ Windows 2000, Me, XP, XP Starter, Windows XP, Media Center 2005 for: US, Spain, UK, France, Italy, Canada, Australia, Mexico, and four Nordic countries.
- Implemented OEM Office 2003, 2007 and incorporated royalty tracking systems for Office and third-party software.
- Implemented SoftThinks’ PC Angel Hard disk recovery systems to the various OS versions replacing costly physical-media based OS recovery thus saving millions in BOM costs.
- Focused on streamlining installation methods and improving the end-user experience. This contributed to the commendations by Microsoft and the overall improvement in brand perception during my tenure.
eMachines Technical Skillset
Skills used at this time Operating Environments: Windows 98se – XP, Windows 2000, XP Media Center, Windows Server, Linux Programming / IDE's: CLI/DOS scripts Software Tools: Windows OPK, Symantec and McAfee antivirus, Symantec Ghost Productivity: MS (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, Outlook) Networking / Protocols: TCP/IP, NetBEUI, FTP, WINS Hardware: Desktops, notebooks, switches
eMachines Deployment Projects
Customer Service Technician - Free-PC, Inc.
Pasadena, California / Aug 1999 - Jan 2000
Free-PCprovided 10,000 free Compaq Presario PC’s to consumers who agreed to receive target advertising as part of its test program. Free-PC was later acquired by eMachines, Inc. in November 1999.
- Customer service and technical, specializing in applications, modem and connectivity issues.
- Promoted to second-level support agent and entrusted with mentoring and training new support agents.
- Retained during merger and acquisition with eMachines, Inc.
Free-PC Technical Support Skillset
Skills used at this time Operating Environments: Windows 98, DOS/CLI Software Tools: DOS/CLI Networking / Protocols: TCP/IP, DNS Hardware: Desktops, modems
Customer Service Technician - TEKSystems/Disney Interactive
Glendale, CA / Dec 1998 - Mar 1999
Technical support for the award-winning Disney Interactive software library on DOS, Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and Power Macintosh platforms.
- Consistent high scores in performance reviews and evaluations.
- Promoted to second-level escalation agent.
Technical Support Skillset
Skills used at this time Operating Environments: DOS, Windows 3.1, 95, 98 and Power Macintosh platforms. Programming / IDE’s: CLI/DOS scripts. Software Tools: MS (Excel, Word, Outlook), Custom CRM database. Networking / Protocols: TCP/IP, IPX/SPX Hardware: Desktops, notebooks, audio and video card troubleshooting.
Disney Software Supported
- Microsoft MCSE (MCP ID# 6780539) – 2009
- CompTIA A+ Certification – 1997
Integrated Digital Technologies
Los Angeles, CA 2009
- Microsoft Certified System Engineer Course
Required for MCSE Exams Operating Environments: Windows Server, Microsoft Virtual PC Software Tools: PowerShell, RSAT, DOS/CLI scripts Networking / Protocols: TCP/IP, DNS, DHCP, RDS, ACL, SCCM, Active Directory, routing, firewalls Hardware: Servers, clients
Computer Learning Center of Los Angeles
Los Angeles, CA 1996 - 1997
New Horizons Computer Learning Centers is the world's largest independent IT training company with over 300 locations in 72 countries.
- A.A. Computers & Electronics Technology Program.
- Subsequently passed the CompTIA A+ certification exam.
PC Technology Classes
Technical Courses Operating Environments: Windows Server, Novell Server, Win95, 3.11, DOS/CLI Software Tools: MS (Excel, Word, Access) Networking / Protocols: TCP/IP, IPX/SPX, NetBEUI, DNS, routing, Data Communications (OSI) Hardware: Digital Electronics Theory and Lab, PC Hardware, Analog Electronic Theory and Lab, oscilloscopes, troubleshooting PC hardware, BIOS
East Los Angeles Community College
- Monterey Park CA
- 50+ credit hours.
Areas of Study
Subjects Covered Language: English 101, 102 Sciences: Chemistry, physics, microbiology Maths: Pre-calculus Automotive: Licenced CA Smog Check Technician and ASE certified (before current career)
Career and Skillset Infographic
- Professional strengths grouped in a easy-to-follow 2-D outline.
- LinkedIn Profile : https://www.linkedin.com/in/edwin-a-salazar/
Interests (Not Directly Work-Related )
Hobbies and Misc. Technical Abilities Operating Environments: Linux (MX Linux, Raspberrian, Kali) Hardware: Raspberry Pi, Arduino, DD-WRT access points, printers, managed switches, soldering, electronics troubleshooting Audio: Ableton Live, Audacity, FL Studio, Apple Logic, MOTU audio interfaces, MIDI, VST, AU and various virtual instruments and effects, analog synth sound design Automotive: DIY vehicle maintenance, repair, and tuning